Friday, July 11, 2008

Fight The Frump Friday

So here is the post you have all been waiting for! OK, I have really just been lazy and haven't done the research I should have for this FTF post. And I am sure it is not as good as you may have been imagining. A friend and I were talking about shaving legs and body exfoliation one day, and since I LOVE to use a body scrub right after I shave to help with shaving bumps and rash, AND I haven't really been able to find a store bought product that isn't too overwhelming, or has salt in it instead of sugar (ouch!) she gave me the idea to look up recipes for homemade brown sugar scrubs. There are a lot of different recipes out there, and even though I didn't try them all....I did find one I really liked and it is soo simple to make. I wanted one that didn't have essential oils, or weird ingredients that I would have to buy at a health food store miles from my house. I also wanted one that is a bit hypo-allergenic since I have friends that are allergic to tree nuts and such (Some recipes called for ground up almonds and ground up walnuts...but I didn't think even using them ON the skin instead of ingesting them would be a good idea). This is the recipe I found: Brown Sugar Body Scrub --Use instead of salt scrubs, which can be drying or irritating to the skin if it is dry and/or sensitive. Materials: 2 cups brown sugar 1 cup honey 3 Tbs. lemon juice 2 tsp. ginger Mix together thoroughly. Grate fresh ginger, or use the powdered variety if fresh is not available. Take into the shower with you and apply handfuls at a time to polish the skin. * Note: Should keep for several days in the refrigerator in a closed plastic container. (Thanks to Amby Longhofer for posting this on HGTV.com along with some other great homemade recipes http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/ah_personal_care_bath_body/article/0,,hgtv_3144_2535174,00.html) I actually had to half the recipe and it still makes a lot. I used the ground ginger, and it was a bit overwhelming so I might just leave that out next time, BUT this was a great scrub! The ratio of honey to brown sugar was perfect....the "scrubbing action" was sooo nice and the lemon juice didn't sting like I thought it would. When you first make the scrub it seems really runny, but put it in the fridge in an airtight container overnight, and it thickens up nicely! I used a jar I bought from IKEA that has a great seal, so it looks nice on the edge of the tub (in case I leave it out), and it is easy to see what is inside so no one tries to eat it. So go ahead and try it.....I am sure you will like it! Go on over to Mrs. Fussypants for some great FTF posts. I would LOVE to call her "Fussy" but there seems to be some very childish stuff going around on the Internet, saying she is stealing the name of another blogger....so Mrs. Fussypants it is as to not anger the blogger Gods. She will always be "Fussy" in my book though...everyone deserves a nickname!!! (Even if it is a nickname that comes from another nickname!)

5 Comments:

Abbreviated said...

Sometimes I forget what people did before stores...they made their own.

That would make great gifts.

Anonymous said...

I love this post! I make my own scrub all the time. I don't have a particular recipe though. I just through something together depending on what I'm feeling like. Great idea Anj!

Anonymous said...

sounds awesome. Will have to try it.

Katie said...

I'm going to have to make this!

TNS MOM said...

I may want to eat it, so hopefully it will make it to the rest of my body. I love brown sugar!