Monday, July 14, 2008

Deadliest Catch

I am not one of those reality TV watchers. At least not right now. I started watching "Real World" when the first seasons aired, and even "Road Rules" was pretty good. I admit I watched a few of the first wave of reality TV, and occasionally I will flip through and watch a bit of some current shows. BUT I LOVE watching some of the REAL Reality TV. The mostly unscripted, true to life shows, the ones that have no voting off, no funky challenges, no cattiness and back biting (at least none that is undeserved). Deadliest Catch started out as a documentary on Discovery Channel. It introduced some of us to the crazy, life threatening world of crab boat fishing. Somehow (forgive my ignorance) that documentary evolved into a full blown TV show. I am so glad it did! When it first aired, I had no interest, but as Discovery Channel tends to air mega marathons of most of its shows, I started watching little by little. Then I started watching the TIVO'd or second airing with my husband. THEN I started watching the third season and trying to keep watching when it originally airs. (Not always possible with two kids and a husband working really, really hard at two jobs) Last weekend was a Deadliest Catch marathon and I kept it on the WHOLE TIME! I got to know Sig and his cute bro Edgar and Phil much better than I thought I would, and I even started liking the other captains too (The Hillstrand's are mighty cool) Crab fishing his hard work, you have long days, long runs not enough sleep.....but most guys say the money is worth it. Can't wait to watch tomorrow, and see how Phil is doing, how his sons work the boat, and who is starting to get ahead in the race for the most crab. OK...most of you think I am crazy...but these real life stories are sooo much better than that other "Reality TV" crap that is on most other channels (Although...I do admit, Dean and Tori are pretty cute....but I most likely won't watch them on a regular basis!!)

6 Comments:

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean! They are way addicting. James and I watch Everest every year and just finished up the Alaska Experiment. I'll have to try Deadliest Catch. Although I still love TPB!

m0ck0bject said...

If I didn't have a wife and kids I would be trying to crab fish right now. Honestly, everything I have ever done pales in comparison to what those guys do.

If I ever had the chance to try it without freaking out my wife, I would, just to test myself.

Anjie said...

So are you saying your wife is holding you back? As long as you have a HUGE and I mean HUGE life insurance policy, go for it! ;)

Sun Tea for Sinners said...

Your blog is lovely, my dear! Like what you've done to the place! I love Deadliest Catch! I think I have a crush on those guys! They are like the movie "The Outsiders", which one do you pick?! Pony Boy? Darry? Soda? You can't pick just one, so I pick them all!

Katie said...

I guess my original comment didn't save....

Anyway, I love "Deadlist Catch". I watch it every week and ever re-runs. Sig is my fav. Oh, and Holly mentioned my other favorite "Everest: Beyond the Limit" As well as "Jon & Kate + 8" and "The Girls Next Door."

Anonymous said...

Katie-I love that you watch The Girls Next Door. I'm ashamed to admit it. but I check in on them every once in a while. I also forgot to mention that James is severely addicted to Ghost Hunters.