Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Wednesday's Wonderful Recipe

I have a ton of dessert recipes I can share, but you all don't want to eat just dessert, do you? I keep trying to think of the recipes I use on my own family, but they are fairly boring, and pretty common. One I use a lot during the non-grilling months (since Seth will grill almost anything I ask him to) is my own variation of a chicken recipe in some long forgotten cook book. It is pretty healthy since you can adapt it however you'd like to...and you can serve the chicken with any side dishes...usually it is mashed potatoes or Rice-A-Roni, and some veggies at our house. You can even cut the chicken into smaller pieces for chicken nuggets for the kids. So, I hope you enjoy! Baked Breaded Chicken chicken breasts (as many as your family will eat) 1-2 cups plain bread crumbs salt and pepper to taste 1-2 eggs for an egg wash 1-2 Tbs any variation of herbs and spices you like. Some ideas: season salt Lemon pepper Cayenne pepper Italian seasonings Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Add bread crumbs to shallow dish. Add salt, pepper and spices; mix well. Taste bread crumbs, add more spices if necessary. Break egg(s) in another shallow dish, add enough water to make a wash. Rinse chicken breasts. Dip chicken in egg wash, then in bread crumbs, coating thoroughly. Place chicken in greased (I use Pam) baking dish. Bake for 20 minutes or until the juices run clear. (If making chicken nuggets maybe cook for 15 minutes) When I serve it with mashed potatoes I make a packet gravy to go over the potatoes and chicken. When I serve with rice, I omit the gravy! If you use Italian seasonings, you can serve with spaghetti sauce and noodles and spoon sauce over chicken. See, a very versatile dish!

3 Comments:

Sun Tea for Sinners said...

I love that recipe! Only I pour a stick of melted butter over the top. Guess that explains my chubbiness. It is great though, cuz you can switch it up! Me likey!!

Anjie said...

Anytime I have used the butter on top, it comes out soggy! I try (try being the key word) to make it fairly healthy...but of course I always find a way to make it a little more fattening!

Katie said...

If you're out of bread crumbs, break up crackers (saltine work very well) and then pour the melted butter on top. It won't be soggy, just crispy.