Friday, June 20, 2008

Fight The Frump Friday-Ouch...that darn sun!

Now I know we all faithfully make sure our children are slathered in SPF 60 or higher when we are out in the sun, but I know that I sometimes forget to put sunscreen on myself. Trying to keep kids from drowning, or from eating sand, or hitting other kids, makes me negelct my own sun care needs. Inevitably, I get sunburned...sometimes just a little, sometimes a lot. So, how many of us know what to do to treat a sunburn? Here are some tips to help keep your sunburn from keeping you awake at night.


  • Take some ibuprofen to help with the pain and swelling

  • Drink a lot of water, it helps replenish the liquids you lost while in the sun

  • Cool down the skin with a cold shower, cold compress or a cool bath with 1/2 cup baking soda added

  • Purchase aloe vera gel (not lotion) and keep in the fridge. Aloe Vera will soothe and moisturize, and the cold gel will feel soo nice! Bonus if it has a topical pain reliever

  • Don't put on a sweater or wrap up in a blanket....that will trap the heat and make the sunburn worse


Hope this helps you Fight the Sunburn Frump! Thanks to my friend Katie E. for her idea for this FTF post. Fussy has links to more FTF posts!



4 Comments:

Darla said...

I had the absolute WORST burn a month ago. I blistered up BIG TIME on my shoulders. I used Noxema to dry the blister. Then I used some cheap-o suave advance therapy moisturizer and it's took that dead skin right off and no big white blotches.

Katie said...

I always, always, always use a moisturizer with SPF on my face. And I typically forget about sunscreen the first part of summer and end up with a little burn and that's enough to remind me to use it the rest of the summer. I love the spray on kind because it's so easy to apply...and re-apply.

Thanks for the info in case I get another burn this summer.

Texasholly said...

Good info. I love aloe vera gel when sun burned. It helps so much and makes the pain so much less...

Unknown said...

One sunburn several years ago I had a roommate with an aloe plant. It was pretty awesome.