Friday, November 27, 2009

I'm a Mom that loves food.

I love finding new recipes. I love buying the ingredients. I love making the dish. And I most of all, love eating the finished product! That made it easy (and tough at the same time) to participate in Beth's (at I Should Be Folding Laundry) You Capture Challenge this week: FOOD!
I took pictures of the pie I made while I was making it. I took pictures of the food at Thanksgiving. And I took pictures of the pie we had for dessert (oh YUM!). But I think my favorite picture of food is the one that comes with a bit of nostalgia.
When we were little my Mom used to make cinnamon and sugar cookies out of the leftover pie crust. I'm sure some of your Moms did the same thing, but at the time, we thought it was something special. My Grandma used to do the same thing for my Mom, and it was one small tradition we kept up with after my Grandmother passed away. Even though it was very simple, we would watch as my Mom cut the leftover pie crust dough into rectangles, not all perfectly shaped, brush the dough with melted butter, and sprinkle cinnamon and sugar on them. We would wait in anticipation for them to be baked and cooled enough to eat, of course asking "Are they done yet?" way too many times for my Mom's liking (hey! 15 minutes is a long time to a kid!) Even though I didn't always LOVE eating them, just watching my Mom make them, and having her tell the story about her Mom making them, prompted me to make Pie Crust Cookies for my kids this year. I guess I'd forgotten that kids don't necessarily like them because my kids didn't eat many, but at least I'm passing on a tradition.
Go see what other yummy Food captures are over on I Should Be Folding Laundry.

5 Comments:

Anonymous said...

That is an awesome story and now you have the photo to go with it! I think sometime the traditions we pass down are more for us than for the kids, but they don't ever forget either.

Anonymous said...

That sounds like a wonderful tradition to pass down:)

Beth at I Should Be Folding Laundry said...

What an awesome tradition! They look pretty good to me. :)

I hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Sarah Jones said...

What a great tradition to carry on! I think that they look really good!

Alana Jo said...

I am a mom that loves food too!!!

Alana Jo
yahoobuckaroo@hotmail.com
www.twitter.com/NiftyThrifty
http://www.justniftythrifty.com/2009/12/you-capture-tell-us-story-using-photos.html