Tuesday, November 10, 2009

I'm a cook looking forward to slow cooker season!

Slow Cooker season is upon us! I love smelling dinner simmering away in the slow cooker throughout the day after little effort from the cook (that is usually me!) The smells seem to scream "Fall is here". Recently as I was watching Good Things Utah, a local talk show, I saw a cooking segment by a local blogger (no, not dooce. Does she even cook?) who was is trying to use her slow cooker for 365 days. So I checked out her blog and 365 Days of Slow Cooking is pretty cool! She uses a star system to rate the recipes, and gives her and her family's opinion of the dish. It is pretty easy to navigate and fun to see what recipes she has tried. I decided to try a 4 star recipe Sweet and Spicy Ribs. We hadn't had any pork around here for a while, and I am sick of cooking pork chops when we do, so I adapted the recipe a bit. Not only did I half the recipe (6 lbs of ribs is a lot of food for 2 adults and 2 kids) but I used boneless pork country ribs instead of the beef. This was so yummy! It smelled divine all day long, and the sauce had just a tiny bit of kick! I think I will add more of the Cajun seasoning next time, to give it more of the spicy and less of the sweet. I served it with mashed potatoes with the sauce as gravy. The ribs fell apart as we ate them, no knife needed, and it would be fun to try a pork roast in the sauce for pulled pork sandwiches. I will make these quite a few times this winter, and I'm hoping to be able to cook the full recipe to share with friends as some point (that depends on if I decide to clean my house and invite people over or not). All in all a great recipe, worthy of the 4 stars Karen gave it! (It's the 10th day of NaBloPoMo and I'm still doing well....hope I can keep this up!)

0 Comments: