Thursday, May 29, 2008

Turntable Thursday

OK ladies....you all have spoken. Well 4 of you. I will give my opinion about some of the music I am listening to, possibly including some links, or some sound bites. This week is a band my hubby has been listening to, a band I have heard a few times on Sirrius radio (not sure if it was Radio 1, or Alt. Nation). Drum Roll Please........ TOKYO POLICE CLUB! "Tokyo Police Club are an indie/art rock band from Newmarket, Canada. The band consists of Dave Monks (Vocals, Bass), Josh Hook (Guitar, Percussion), Graham Wright (Keyboards, Vocals) and Greg Alsop (Drums, Percussion)." (see more at Last.fm) I don't know what it is with me and foreign bands....I like Barenaked Ladies (even more so since they released a kids album...but that is for another time) and I am really into a lot of stuff from the UK (more on that in the weeks to come). One thing about Tokyo Police Club I really like is the drums...in most of their songs, the drums make the song just seem happy, even if the lyrics aren't. One thing you will come to know about me is I am one to hear the music over the lyrics in just about everything. I don't know why this is....if it is my piano background, or if it is just what my ears hear. Sometimes it takes me years to actually listen/hear the lyrics in a song, and most of the time I am totally surprised. So I guess if you listen to them, and are appalled by some of the lyrics, just know I most likely don't have any clue what they are saying. You can get some snippits of a few songs, and even listen to the full track of others at: http://www.last.fm/music/Tokyo+Police+Club Hope you enjoy, let me know what you think on the poll to the left!

2 Comments:

Katie said...

I liked it. Kind of reminded me of 80's punk - which seemed really wild then, but it's pretty tame now - with the twingy guitar and the young voice of the singer. I can't quite put a finger on who they remind me of though, but definitely worth another listen to.

Allison and Ben said...

I'm glad that someone else is like me, not listening to the words but the music. I can't wait to see what other selections you have for us.