Monday, June 7, 2010

I'm crafty too, well sometimes.

Sometimes is probably an overstatement. Maybe I should have said  "I think I can be crafty, then I never follow through." That is more truthful. Anyway, I finally decided to finish a project I had collected the needed items for, but hadn't really started.

I found this at Pier 1 and just KNEW I could make it myself.

So, I found an expensive wall frame ("as-is" from Michael's custom frame department) dug through my craft stuff (I've got a lot, even though I rarely make something) and found my $1 Target ball of twine, dusted off some old clothes pins and grabbed my handy dandy staple gun to get started!

This was so easy to make! I flipped over the frame and got to work!

I just started by stapling one end of the twine to the frame, and stretching it to the other side (as straight as I could get it...I'm NOT a perfectionist when I want to get things done quickly) and stapled the other end, trimming it so it couldn't be seen on the other side. (As you can see, I didn't measure so the twine was equal distance apart...I wanted it to be a little uneven, so different sizes of art work would fit, that and as I said before, I can get lazy when I want to work fast).
I clipped the clothes pins to the twine along with some of my kids paintings, and hung it up! (This is not where I want it in my home, I just hung it there to show it off to you)

Of course you can find a cheap frame, paint it and glaze it and make it your own, AND you can go the extra step to paint the clothes pins the color YOU like, but I like mine this is going in the basement and the black frame matches perfectly, and the plain clothes pins give a little lighter touch to the room.

I'm linking this to Shanty 2 Chic's I Made It Without My Hubby party, since, I did everything without his help! (Yeah, it's a pretty simple project, but I'm proud of myself for finally getting it done!)

UPDATE: OK, so I wrote this post in anticipation of I Made It Without My Hubby, and now a few adjustments have been made. The clothes pins and artwork ended up being too heavy for just stapled twine, and a few of the twine lines fell off! So I just added a dab of hot glue to each of  the staples/twine ends on one side of the frame, let it dry, then pulled the other end as tight as I could and glued that side too. So far, that fixed it!


Shannon said...

That is really cute! Good job Anjie!

Allison and Ben said...

I love it very creative. Makes me want to make one to.

Big Mama Cass said...

Cool! I am getting ready to do something similar in the playroom :)